Chines Baozi with Cabbage, Beetroot and Ginger
Baozi is a traditional dumpling which is very popular in northern china. According to legend, baozi was invented by the Chinese military strategist Zhuge Liang during the Three Kingdoms period over one thousand years ago.
To make this recipe of Baozi first we will make the dough and then the filling.
Chinese Dumpling Recipe
For the dough
- 12 g Active dry yeast
- 500 ml Warm water
- 400 g Plain flour all-purpous
- 50 g Sugar
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
For the Dumplings
- Desolve the yeast in the water and add water and flour, sugar and oil.
- Knead untill smooth and leave the dough to rest for about 45 minutes, until it has double in size.
- Flatten the dough with a rolling pin, sprinkle the baking powder on top, fold in two and knead again.
- Devide into 18 equal-sized balls and leave to rest about 30 minutes more, until it has grown in size.
- Now it is ready to use for making your fevourit dumpling recipe
Once you have made the dough, divide the dough into 18 equal-sized balls and leave it to rest for 30 minutes more until it has grown in size. Meanwhile, blanch the cabbage in boiling water, drain and mix with other filling ingredients.
Chinese Baozi with Cabbage, Beetroot and Ginger
- 300 g Cabbage Finely chopped
- 300 g Beetroot Finely diced
- 1 Large rood ginger Peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Soya sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Rice wine
- Just blanch the cabbage in boiling water, drain and imix the rest of the ingredients.
Then fill up the dumplings with your desired shape or as you see in the picture.
And rest it for another 30 minutes. Meanwhile, bring water to boil in a steamer and arrange the dumplings on baking paper or cabbage leaves to prevent them from sticking to the basket. Steam for about 10 minutes over high heat and serve hot.